Being a parent can be a challenge and being the ideal parent can be even harder, especially if you are not sure what the definition of ideal means. When you become a father it can be extremely challenging to do everything right, when everyone around you is constantly trying to give you advice. This is why you must be aware of what is considered an ideal father and how you can become one.
The ideal father puts family before work and he is there for his children, helping them to grow up and learn new skills. Further, the ideal father will never diminish the achievements of his children, while always being there to act as support for their children. An ideal father understands their children and takes the time to listen, understand, celebrate, and enjoy their children. (Source: Teenik)
There are many more things that a father needs to balance and know what to do, each step a father takes to becoming more and growing should be taken with their children. Finding the perfect balance between being a father, a husband, and a worker is a challenge that all fathers face. Knowing how to find these balances and learning how to adjust your growth as a father as your children is important.
What are the qualities of an ideal father?
The ideal father will be able to do more than just act on the things his children do but will have qualities he has been working on throughout his life. These may be qualities that they naturally have, or it can be the qualities they have nurtured and grown as their children arrived. Usually, you may even find that people look for these qualities in a father before admitting that they are a good father.
However, it is important to remember that very rarely do these qualities just appear in someone before they are a father. Instead of becoming a father and growing up with your children usually breeds these qualities, making someone who may never have thought of being a father, to be the ideal father. After all, the true ideal father is the one that is always willing to work and improve upon himself, rather than just accepting who he is. (Source: PBC Expo)
- Dependability: You have to be dependable, come wind or rain, you have to be there for your children and help them be supported. The most ideal father may never stop being there for their children and while you can certainly prepare your children to be okay without you, while you are there you should be their rock.
- Compassion: An ideal father is understanding of problems, showing compassion when your children need it. It is not wrong or unmanly, in point of fact it is considered that if you cannot be compassionate as a father, you are making a mistake. Compassion towards your children will create a connection beyond any that you could ever expect.
- Empathy: Empathy is probably one of the most challenging feelings humans have and being empathetic can often lead to being abused. However, your children understanding their feelings, their challenges, and helping them to overcome them will greatly benefit your relationship. Always be sure that you are trying to emphasize with your children.
- Valuing of mother: This is showing love to the mother of your children no matter what, showing respect when needed, and supporting her where needed. This does not mean blindly agreeing with everything that mother says or does, but it does mean not badmouthing her when you think the children aren’t listening.
- Playfulness: The fathers of the 50s and 60s were gruff and unkind most of the time, leaving the raising of their children to others. Something that these fathers all lacked was a joy being with their children, refusing to play with their children when asked. However, this quality is a great and easy way to connect with your children and to ensure that they are always growing properly.
- Honesty: Being honest means you are talking with your children about the challenges you are facing and the things that you will need to do. Talking and being honest means that you will be able to communicate when they have done something wrong and they will be much more likely to come to you with their future problems.
What are the roles of a father?
A father will fulfill the role of being the family man, the gentleman, the guardian, and the lighthouse that guides his children. Every father on earth has one or more of these roles and how he grows into being these roles all at once is a great way of seeing how flexible he is. Usually, fathers don’t know that they fulfill these roles for their children until they have failed to fulfill these. (Source: Families for Life)
This is why you need to ensure that the roles are always being checked on and you should be reading how to easily ensure that you are capable of fulfilling these roles. Long before you become a father you can work on showing these roles, being there for the mother of your children, and showing her how you can help her grow.
Being a father means that you not only have clearly defined roles but that you can easily move into new roles as your children continue to grow. An ideal father will be able to move from just a father into a confidant, a close friend as your children reach adulthood. Being there and playing every role needed is more than just being someone who does the bare minimum to be considered a father.
What is a perfect dad?
There is no perfect dad and even a father that has every ideal characteristic and trait will not be perfect, you may never be able to win this award. However, you do not need to be the proclaimed and awarded perfect dad according to the world. You must be the perfect dad for your children, learning to know them, loving them completely, and knowing what they need as they grow up.
This is why you will never see anyone ranking fathers because it is impossible to choose one and usually people will all vote for their parents if they grew up in a healthy home. This is why being the perfect dad according to articles, forums, and books should be nowhere near your list of doing. Becoming perfect is all about knowing your children and what they need from you at almost all times.
Understanding this simple concept will mean that you can quickly and easily become even more capable of being the perfect dad. As you no longer work towards being the dad that would be able to help every child on earth. Instead, you focus entirely on being the best you can be for your children, and in the end, you will see, you are their perfect dad.
Why is there no ideal father that applies to everyone?
There is no blanket ideal father because there is no blanket ideal child, everyone will differ in what they need and what they want. This is the same for children, they will all want different qualities in their fathers and many times won’t even be able to pinpoint qualities of being a father that their father does not possess.
Becoming the perfect father is not something that will happen overnight either, you will be the ideal and perfect father for your children when you are growing and changing with them. This is a vital thing that many people have made the mistake of thinking, you cannot be the perfect father according to any book. Usually, this is where people become stressed because they may not measure up to what they hold as the ideal father.
However, by just going out into the world and trying to figure out what is the ideal father and how you can improve yourself, you are already winning. By wanting to be better, by improving and working on the skills that you do have, you will always continue to be a great and magnificent father.
The ideal father is a question that people have been asking about since the dawn of humankind and it is an answer that will never be fully understood. Being the ideal father is different for every kid on the block and your idea of an ideal father will be greatly different than those of your neighbors. Just continue to work on yourself and you will already be beating the hundreds of other people out there.
Getting to be a father is not an easy road and beating yourself up for imaginary lacking will not make it any easier.