A baby’s transition to solid foods is adorable and messy. Mess is inevitable, with stains and spills on the baby’s clothes and all over the floor.
Baby bibs make life easier by catching food spills. They are a must-have in every baby’s wardrobe and spare you the hassle of having to change your baby’s clothes after every meal.
The best baby bibs are machine washable, comfortable, and easy to put on and take off.
Different brands offer various designs, colors, sizes, shapes, and features, so deciding which one to buy can be tough.
To make things easier for you, we have shortlisted the top 5 best bibs for babies eating solids.
5 Best Baby Bibs For Eating Solid Food
Unlike infant bibs, which are mainly meant to absorb liquids, bibs for toddlers are designed to catch solid food and need not be as absorbent. Here are the best bibs for babies eating solids:
Made from food-safe silicone, the bib has a pocket to catch falling crumbs. The fabric is soft and comfortable. You can easily roll it up and store it in cupboards and diaper bags. Velcro fastening ensures that the bib fits the growing baby.
Made from polyester, the bib is waterproof. The fabric is soft, comfortable, durable, and free of toxic chemicals. The bib is wide and long, covering the baby’s entire torso.
The bib has an adjustable hook and loop closure, making it tug-proof. It has a pocket for catching crumbs and offers wide coverage.
The bib has full coverage, covering the entire torso, including the hands. It has elastic cuffs that allow you to adjust the sleeve length. The bib also has a pocket for collecting crumbs, and a tie closure secures it at the back.
This full-coverage waterproof bib is half-sleeved and super comfortable. It is stain and odor resistant.
The crumb-catching pocket is placed close to the baby’s mouth and is sewn backward with a flip-over feature. When you flip the pocket to the front, you’ll have a wider opening to catch crumbs effectively.
The bib also has two tie closures at the back to fasten the bib to the baby’s torso, so your baby cannot pull it off.
This silicone bib is elegant and timeless with a classic pattern. It is comfortable, free of hazardous chemicals, waterproof, and stain-resistant.
The bib has adjustable built-in button fasteners for a secure and comfortable fit. Its deep pocket efficiently traps every crumb.
Safety Precautions Considering Baby Bibs
While selecting a baby bib, you must consider certain features to ensure the baby’s safety.
Material: The bib must be made of non-toxic materials that are safe for the baby. A high-quality backing is a must to ensure it does not irritate the baby’s skin. Usually, cotton or bamboo backing is the best option as it is soft, safe, and comfortable.
Drawstrings: Bibs with drawstring fastening can cause a strangling hazard as the string may tighten around the baby’s neck.
Velcro: Velcro fastening can scratch the baby’s sensitive skin; avoid them whenever possible.
More importantly, never put a baby to sleep with the bib on. A bib is a potential choking and strangling hazard. The fastening may tighten around the baby’s neck, causing strangulation. Also, the bib may cover the baby’s face and lead to suffocation.
Baby Bib Care Tips
Baby bibs are long-time companions, so you should take special care to ensure their longevity and durability.
1. Read the instructions carefully: Labels contain all the instructions you will need for washing the bibs. They specify the right detergent, washing method, and sometimes, even the optimum temperature. Following the guidelines will help retain the bib’s colors and prints and increase its longevity.
2. Pretreat stains for best results: You can even soak the bib overnight to remove stubborn stains.
3. Choose a baby-friendly detergent: Ensure the detergent you use on the bibs does not have softeners, bleach, or dye fragrances. These can harm the bibs as well as the baby’s sensitive skin.
4. Do not use hot water: Hot water treatment for stains may or may not effectively treat them. However, they will cause harm to the fabric, decreasing the bib’s life span.
5. Fasten the bibs before machine washing: This holds good especially velcro fasteners, as they may snag on other clothes.
6. Sun dry or air dry the bibs: This will help you avoid hot air dryers and kill any remaining germs and bacteria.
Bibs are an important piece of clothing that your baby can wear from birth until they reach the age of three. They protect the baby’s clothes from stains and absorb liquids, keeping the baby dry and comfortable.
As the baby grows and their feeding shifts from liquid to solid, their bibs change too, and the ones designed to catch solids become more desirable.
We hope our list of the top 5 best bibs for babies eating solids helps you find the ideal one.