Becoming a parent is one of the most rewarding experiences a person can have, but it can also be quite stressful, especially when you’re a first-time parent (also read 7 First Time Parenting Myths). One of the biggest things new parents often worry about is their child’s nutrition.
You’ll find yourself bouncing around juggling multiple tasks, and the kitchen will have to be all about efficiency. But with the right tools, caring for your baby’s nutritional requirements won’t be such a task.
Here are some important kitchen essentials you might want to stock up on.
#1. OXO Tot Food Masher
The OXO Tot food masher is the perfect on-the-go solution for your baby’s feeding needs. Its teeth fit perfectly into the ridges at the bottom of the bowl, allowing for quick and efficient mashing.
You can also use the masher’s teeth to scrape out food bits between the ridges during cleaning. The entire apparatus is portable and can also be used as a container for food.
- Masher can be used to clean the bowl
- Dishwasher friendly
- Works well with soft foods
- Easy to use
- Made of plastic
- Cannot be microwaved
#2. Instant Pot 7-in-1 Stainless Steel Electric Rice Cooker With Warmer and Sterilizer
Now that you have one extra mouth to feed, investing in a rice cooker is a smart decision. And having a go-to kitchen tool to prepare numerous recipes can really help any parent save labor and time.
The Instant Pot 7-in-1 is arguably the most versatile electric rice cooker on the market. It can be used for pressure cooking, cooking rice, slow cooking, steaming, sautéing, making yogurt, and warming and sterilizing food. It is available in 3 sizes, so you can select the one best suited for your family. It also has over 10 safety features, is heat resistant, and a safety locking lid, so you don’t even have to worry about leaving your baby unattended around it.
- Versatile cooking functions
- Safe and power-efficient
- Easy to clean, dishwasher friendly, and fingerprint resistant
- Cooking-grade stainless steel bottom with triple-ply that offers even cooking and sautéing.
- Smallest size can be used to cook more than enough food for families of up to 4.
- Heavy and bulky
- Steam valve has to be reset manually after each cook.
- Expensive accessories
#3. Countertop Lawn Style Drying Rack By Boon
This is an optional but incredibly handy tool to have if you want to keep your kitchen organized. The Boon Countertop lawn drying rack is made up of flexible grass blades that can hold both your pointy or flat-bottomed washed baby utensils upright.
It has a water tray underneath that collects water, and you can remove and wash it easily. It’s very convenient and helps you keep all your things in one place.
- Stylish design that spruces up your kitchen
- Easy to wash
- Holds items of all shapes and sizes
- Made without BPA and PVC
- Not dishwasher safe
- Cannot be used in the microwave
#4. ChooMee Soft Sip Food Pouch Top For Children
Food pouches are ideal for when you want your child to begin self-feeding. They’re easy to use, non-hazardous, and can store both drinks and soft foods. But to use a food pouch you also need a food pouch top.
ChooMee’s soft sip food pouch top is made of 100% silicon and has a flow control valve that prevents spillage and makes accessing the contents inside the food pouch easier for kids. It’s incredibly soft, so no matter how much your baby chews on it, it won’t chafe their teeth. If your child prefers eating or drinking out of food bags these tops could save you a lot of money since they’re reusable and dishwasher-friendly.
- Easy to clean; dishwasher and boiling water friendly
- Can attach to all standard food pouches
- Save money on having to purchase entire food pouches, tops included
- Prevents spillage
- The child has to suck the food out, just squeezing won’t work because of the flow valve.
- Kids may be able to remove them.
#5. OXO Tot Baby Blocks Food Storage Containers
The Baby Blocks Food Storage Containers by OXO Tots is a great solution to storing your baby’s portioned meals. They’re the perfect size for an average baby meal and come with a tray that holds all 6 containers together, so it’s also easy to carry them on the go.
They’re made from BPA-free plastic and are dishwasher safe. You can safely store them in the refrigerator and warm them up in the microwave. You can also stack them on top of each other to save space.
- Can be used in refrigerators, freezers, and microwaves
- Dishwasher safe
- 2-ounce markings in the container for quick and easy measurement
- Can be too small at times.
#6. Amazon Basics Portable Electric Steel Kettle
There’s a lot of speculation about the safety of drinking microwaved water. But it is undeniable that boiling water in the microwave takes longer and can possibly create a mess. A kettle gets things done much sooner.
This portable kettle comes highly recommended by Amazon. With its 1-liter water capacity, it can bring water to a boil in two minutes. It’s made from stainless steel and has an automatic shutoff for when water starts boiling to prevent spillages. Every kitchen needs this, new parent or not.
- Easy to use and clean
- Markings for 0.5, 0.75 and 1 liter
- Stylish design
- The body isn’t insulated so it can get really hot. You need to grab the kettle by the handle.
- Lid doesn’t open all the way.
#7. Dr. Brown’s Microwave Steam Sterilizer Bags
Microwave Steam Sterilizer Bags offer a quick and easy way to sterilize small parts of baby care products like pacifiers. You simply open the pouch, fill it with water up to the indicated mark, add the parts, close the pouch, and microwave it for 30 seconds.
It eliminates over 99% of the common household bacteria. Plus, each bag can be used up to 20 times before being discarded. It’s a fast solution for sanitizing the small items that go into your baby’s hands or mouth.
- Easy to use
- Fast and efficient
- Designed to fill all baby bottle parts.
- Seal can get loose and needs to be closed with additional care
#8. EZ-Clean Silicone Baby Bibs By Happy Healthy Parent
Babies are notorious for playing with their food, and who can blame them. At their age, playfulness and curiosity is a sign of healthy mental development although it does create a mess. Want a baby bib that doesn’t stain, is easy to clean off, and soft to the touch?
Baby Bibs by Happy Healthy Parents is made of silicone so it doesn’t stain and can be washed and dried with ease. The neckband is adjustable and has buttons that lock the bib in place without causing any discomfort to the baby. Happy Healthy Parent offers a lifetime warranty and replacement guarantee on baby bibs.
- Easy to clean and dry as the bib doesn’t absorb water
- Button closure makes it easier to seal the neckband and remove
- Dishwasher friendly
- Doesn’t stain
- Babies might be able to remove the bib if they can reach around their nape.
- Babies might chew on the bib because of its softness.
#9. Graco Made2Grow 6 in 1 High Chair
The Made2grow chair by Graco has a unique design that allows you to adjust and modify the chair to accommodate both infants and toddlers. It thus has a very long, useful life. It’s America’ no. 1 high chair brand.
With its infant head support and 3 recline positions, it helps keep babies comfortable. It has a table that locks in the infant while giving them plenty of armrest. The entire chair can be folded and stored in your closet. All the chair’s parts are detachable, and if you ever end up having a second kid, you can turn it into two chairs. The bottom part turns into a stool for the older kid, and the cozy infant chair and table can be removed and placed on a high chair for infants. It’s an incredibly versatile chair.
- Very long useful life
- Easily washable
- Can be disassembled and used to seat 2 kids
- Provides excellent back, head, and arm support for infants
- Can be folded and stored in compact spaces
- Seatbelt straps need to be connected properly as they come loose
- Gap between tray and baby
#10. Baby Dröm Suction Plates for Babies That Fit Into High Chair Trays
Baby Dröm suction plates are sturdy, lightweight, easy to wash, and come with little compartments that let you separate liquid from non-liquid foods. They have a suction base that makes them stick down to all kinds of counter surfaces, so it’s impossible for babies to tip them over.
These plates are made from high-quality silicone and free from BPA and plastic. As a bonus, Baby Dröm also includes a book of 160 organic baby food recipes with every purchase.
- Made from high-quality materials
- Dishwasher, refrigerator, and microwave safe.
- Dimensions that fit almost all high chair trays
- Suction base sticks to different surfaces, so the plate can’t be tipped over
- Despite the suction base, if the toddler pulls the place towards itself, it can come loose.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Is Plastic Harmful For Babies?
PVC plastics contain some harmful chemicals that can leach out from the product when you put warm food in them or microwave them. If you’re purchasing utensils for your babies, it’s always better to go for something like silicone.
2. How Do Babies Like To Eat?
To get your baby more interested in food, you should let them play with their food from time to time, vary the textures, and serve food in fun-looking colorful bowls or plates. Babies need all the stimulation they can get.Kitchen Essentials!
3. At What Age Can Babies Start Eating Hard Foods?
You can start introducing solid foods when babies reach 6months of age, but they should be mashed to avoid large chunks that could get stuck in their throats. Past the age of 9 months, babies may be ready for a more varied textural experience. You can then start giving them meals from other food groups like meats, grains, cheese, etc.
4. Is It Safe For My Baby To Chew On Silicone?
As long as the item in question is made from safe, hypoallergenic silicone, it is safe for babies to chew on it. It may also make an excellent teether for them to exercise their jaws or newly developed baby teeth on. Silicone products for babies are designed assuming that babies will chew on them, so they’re made to be incredibly soft.
A fully-equipped kitchen is necessary and alleviates stress for new parents. Raising a child is arguably one of the toughest jobs in the world, not just because they make you worry so much but also because babies can get very demanding for Kitchen Essentials
Fortunately, as you can see in this list, there are many tools to make your job easier and more convenient.